Over my 26 years of life I've been given a good deal of advice from others. Fortunately many influential people in my life are not only patient, but wise as well.
Those who know me, know that sometimes I have to hear things a billion times before it processes. (I did mention patience, right??:). Perhaps lack of good listening skills, perhaps ADHD, perhaps I just don't care at the time... whatever.
Be that as it is, there are a few pieces of advice that have stuck with me over the years; those which I've come to find incredibly accurate and valuable. This advice was given in love, by people who knew me well enough to know what I needed to hear, regardless of whether I wanted to hear it or not.
........
This is what I'd like to refer to "The Hall of Fame Advice List".
Since truly accurate and great advice is hard to come by, and even harder for me to recollect later, I'll just list the top ten:
10. Attention to detail is the key to success.
9. Don't do anything with a boyfriend that you wouldn't want to tell your husband about later.
8. If you cannot make a certain decision or are struggling to discern what is right or good or best, ask the question "Is this glorifying to God? Is this drawing me closer or further away from Him?"...
7. Pride comes before the fall.
6. Small steps of faith greatly please God.
5. You don't have to have it all figured out. Don't try.
4. Your husband can't be your Savior. Don't expect him to be.
3. It's not all about you.
2. When circumstances feel out-of-control or hopeless, and you start to feel like God isn't there or doesn't have a plan for you, ask yourself if He has provided for you today. Ask yourself if He has provided right that moment the things you need to survive. And when you realize that He has, rest in that.
1. Enjoy the Journey.
.......
Some of these I've found incredibly challenging, some have kept me grounded during times when I badly needed to be, some drive me crazy because they remind me of particular weaknesses, and some were used to encourage me in some of my hardest moments.
.. but I'm thankful for all of them:)
No comments:
Post a Comment